Sunday, October 30, 2011

Internet Librarian

I spent the weekend at a conference called the Internet Librarian.  I know I know, where would the single (straight) men be at an event like this, but a girl has got to network if she wants a job in her new career and I’m game to try so I got up early to be ready for the five hour drive up to Monterey. I was nervous to meet my driving buddy; a fellow library student. Would he be a serial killer in the guise of a law librarian?  What were the odds he’d also be super hot and single? Well, when he pulled up in a rented white Crown Victoria, I happily and sadly realized he was neither. Once I finally got to my room at the Marriott, I unpacked my business suits and wondered if I’d get to wear the red party dress I brought just in case. (I also misguidedly stuffed a few condoms into my make-up bag). I never did wear the dress and high-heels, (only the smart grey suit saw any action), or use my little prophylactic buddies, but I did get to witness some kick-ass drunk librarian karaoke and learn a ton about the future of information science. When I got back home, I sent out e-mails to the business card connections I made, unpacked and lamented that the condoms I stuffed back in my drawer might expire before I ever get to use them. I really wanted the conference to have that magic “meet cute” element to it, but unless the statistics of who is in a MLIS program these days, I will remain single and searching. I guess it’s just as well. Sometimes business and pleasure need not always mix, and I should use my flirt & mingle techniques elsewhere like at a bloggers conference perhaps?

No comments:

Post a Comment